Saturday, October 23, 2010

Some nice quotes from "Refactoring"

Some nice quotes I found in the book (will update as I'm reading).

Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. (p.15)

When I look at unfamiliar code, I have to try to understand what it does. I look at a couple of lines and say to myself, oh yes, that's what this bit of code is doing. With refactoring I don't stop at the mental note. I actually change the code to better reflect my understanding, and then I test that understanding by rerunning the code to see if it still works. (p. 54)

I strongly believe that a good design is essential for rapid software development... Without a good design, you can progress quickly for aa while, but soon the poor design starts to slow you down. You spend time finding and fixing bugs instead of adding new function. Changes take longer as you try to understand the system and find the duplicate code. New features need more coding as you patch over a patch that patches a patch on the original code base (p.57)

No comments:

Post a Comment